Thursday, October 25, 2012

Laowai Links

Thursday link roll is kind of boring....so Laowai links. If you look further down, you'll see it isn't exactly original but oh well.

My personal favorite isn't here (mǎmǎhūhū, 马马虎虎, meaning "so-so") but there are some of the funnest Chinese words to say in this post on Laowai Chinese, my new favorite site.

Funny: What Your State is Good At, And What It's Lame At

Interesting: Women as Academic Authors - I didn't expect the percentage of female academic authors to be so low even with the 1991 - 2010 period but it's also interesting to see what parts of each discipline, particularly anthropology, that women tend to publish more in - dance ethnology? That might be one of the few subfields that I never really read much about in college.

Good to know: Baking Supplies Store Locations so that I can make this. Or this. Also useful to anyone out there wondering where to find baking tins in Yilan because Carrefour DOES NOT have anything useful, except for tin foil (which apparently damages toaster ovens) or little, crappy throw away pans and tins.

Bwhaahahaha, fulbright funds are responsible for this: Laowai Gangnam Style
 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Funny stuff. Of course I had no idea the gangnam style video was based on a big hit video, but I coincidentally saw the big hit on TV recently. And the map provides some interesting contrasts...

    We miss you. I'm booking my flight to Moline for Christmas-New Years. Sure wish you could be there. But we're also working on the Hong Kong trip, so that's something to look forward to.

    Tough stuff at work. Need a new computer. Better get to it.

    I love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete